Summertime and grilling go hand in hand, and we want to help you embrace the grill while maintaining your healthy lifestyle. Here are some delicious, BBS-friendly grill recipes!
Note: some of these recipes include a marinade, so be sure to plan ahead so you have enough time.
Grilled Halibut with Cherry Tomato and Corn Salsa
- 4 halibut filets (6-8 oz. each)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
For the salsa:
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 2 ears corn
- 1 large shallot, minced
- ¾ cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Fresh ground pepper
- Use a sharp knife to remove the corn kernels from the cob. (Hold the cob vertically and carefully cut straight down.)
- Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in a cast iron skillet. When hot, add the corn and sauté for 8-10 minutes until the corn is tender and well browned. Transfer the cooked corn to a large mixing bowl and let cool to room temperature.
- Slice the cherry tomatoes lengthwise and add them to the corn along with the minced shallot and chopped basil.
- In a small bowl combine the lemon juice, 1 tbsp. olive oil, and minced garlic. Pour the dressing over your salsa ingredients and gently toss. Refrigerate your salsa for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to combine.
- While your salsa is cooling, prepare your halibut filets, removing the skin if desired. Rub each filet with ½ tbsp. olive oil and season both sides well with salt and pepper.
- Heat your grill over medium heat. When hot, add your filets and cook for approximately 4 minutes on each side or until opaque throughout.
- Serve your grilled halibut topped with cherry tomato and corn salsa.
Cilantro Lime Chicken with Pineapple Avocado Salsa
- Juice of 4 limes
- 1/4 c. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 c. plus 1 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tsp. honey
- kosher salt
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 c. chopped pineapple
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Make marinade by whisking together juice of 3 limes, olive oil, 1/4 cup cilantro, and honey and season with salt.
- Add chicken to a large Ziploc bag or baking dish and pour marinade on top. Let marinate in the refrigerator at least 3 hours.
- When ready to grill, heat grill to high. Oil grates and add chicken. Grill until charred, 8 minutes per side.
- As your chicken cooks, stir together pineapple, avocado, red onion, juice of 1 lime, and remaining tablespoon cilantro. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon salsa over chicken and serve.
Flank Steak Tacos with Cilantro Lime Yogurt Sauce
- 1 flank steak
For the marinade:
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 3 crushed cloves of garlic
For the tacos:
- 4 cups cabbage, thinly sliced
- 6 carrots, grated (about 1 cup)
- One bunch scallions, thinly sliced
For the yogurt sauce:
- ¾ cup Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 pinch salt
- To marinate the flank steak, first slice shallow diagonal lines about 2 inches apart across both sides of the steak so the marinade can sink in further.
- Sprinkle the salt, chili powder, garlic powder, and onion powder equally over both sides of the steak and rub it into the meat.
- In a bowl, whisk together lime juice, honey, and salt.
- Place the flank steak in a large zip lock bag and pour in the lime mixture.
- Close the bag and massage the marinade into the meat for about 10 seconds.
- Place in the fridge to marinate for 4 hours (or longer if you desire)
- Heat your grill to medium heat.
- Grill the flank steak on both sides until the internal temperature reaches 130 degrees – it will continue cooking once you remove it from the heat, so don’t overcook it or it will be tough!
- Let the steak rest for at least 5 minutes
- Meanwhile, slice your cabbage, scallions, and cilantro. Grate your carrots and set aside.
- Make your yogurt sauce by whisking the yogurt, honey, lime juice, cilantro, and salt together in a bowl.
- To assemble, place some cabbage and carrots into each tortilla, followed by a few slices of flank steak, the yogurt sauce, and top it off with some green onions.
Grilled Cilantro-Lime Sweet Potatoes
- 3 sweet potatoes
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tsp finely grated lime zest
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Place the potatoes in a large pot of boiling water and cook until fork tender. Let cool, then slice each potato into eights lengthwise.
- Preheat grill to medium heat. Mix 1 tablespoon salt, lime zest, and cayenne pepper in a bowl.
- Brush the potatoes with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place on the grill and grill on all sides until golden brown and cooked through.
- Transfer to a plate or platter and sprinkle with lime-salt mixture and chopped cilantro.
We hope you’ll enjoy these recipes. For more healthy recipes, subscribe to the blog and check out the recipe section here!