PROPER EXERCISE FORMS
Week one of the Yoli From Home Transformation challenge is almost complete! Take a moment to check in with yourself. Weeks one and two are all about getting your body moving! What have you done this week to be active? Head over to our Facebook page and share with us! Today we’ll be sharing some helpful tips on using proper exercise forms. Get moving the safe way!
WHY IS PROPER FORM IMPORTANT?
Proper form is the difference between a really good workout, and one that could have been better. Exercises are designed specifically to work certain parts of your body. If you aren’t doing them correctly, you won’t get as much out of them as you’re meant to!
For example, when doing squats, you are supposed to sit back to a full ninety degrees. You should be bending at your hips more so than your knees, with your knee caps pointing outward. Your back should be straight. Squats are meant to work your legs and glutes, as well as help increase the mobility and strength of your lower half. Improperly doing them doesn’t activate the right muscles, and can also put you more at risk for injury!
Besides just giving you a better workout, proper form is meant to keep you safe. Doing any exercise improperly can have serious negative effects on your body. It’s worth it to take a few minutes and do the proper research before starting a new exercise!
CONSISTENCY IS KEY
When it comes to proper form, consistency is one of the most important things to maintain. Even just one wrong move could be the cause of a lot of pain! It may be tempting to do it incorrectly as you get tired. If that happens, take a break. Even just a thirty second rest period between moves can do wonders. And if you find yourself struggling to perform a move the entire way through, that’s okay! Don’t force it and hurt your body. Try to adjust your routine accordingly, even if it’s just for one day.
TIPS AND TRICKS
- Look up video tutorials on how to do each exercise. Practice with the video before starting on your own.
- Follow along with online exercise classes to have examples and instructions on proper motions in real-time.
- Even if you’ve been doing the same move for years, a refresher never hurts! Look up proper techniques to ensure that you’re still doing it correctly.
- Make sure to warm up and cool down each time you workout! This allows your muscles to adjust to the amount of activity you will be doing. Cold muscles can cause injuries.
- Make sure your body is fueled properly for each workout by eating properly and fueling it with things like YES and Passion. Fun is great for after your workout, too!